Home was quite nice. A return to normalcy, if you will. Flat land, heat, humidity, and mama's home cooking. Seeing the boys really made her day. As an added bonus, my brother shipped his daughter over for a night and the Grandma house was teeming with young'uns.
We jetted on down to Walterboro for the Sabbath and heard a good foundational sermon on repentance from Scott Winnail. He'll probably be in Anderson in the next month or so. I really enjoyed meeting him and his family is delightful. His 4-year old son and Nick quickly became friends, and his little daughter tagged along right behind. Nick also made friends with Shanna, our soon-to-be Austrialian. Mrs. Winnail could've been knocked over by a feather when I immediately recognized her hometown. It's tiny, like mine, but we our respective high schools happened to be in the same conference. We knew quite a few of the same people. I don't guess people from New Zion run into people from Clio very often.
Saturday night I was able to see a lot of family members I hadn't seen in ages. I found out that my Grandmother's twig of the Cabbagestalk tree is the "runt" twig. Apparently my her sisters kids/grandkids in Virgina are descendants of Anak. Her sister Kitty's kids are tall; one used to play for the Globetrotters and her 4 girls stand about 5'10" or so. One of them played college ball at NC State and once scored 105 points in a high school game. Aunt Gertude's kids/grandkids are tall too - the runt of the litter is 6' tall and is a former MLB player.
My brother and I, along with the host of the get-together, were the only members of our generation present. Most of the people there were 50+ in age. Many of them didn't recognize me or my brother. I assume that's because I'm no longer 5'4" with a high-top fade. Don't laugh - they were in style once. At least I never had a jheri curl.
Apparently I didn't miss out on Summa's wonderful dinner after all. I wonder if I can finagle another invite... *insert evil laugh*
Tuesday, June 07, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment