Monday, September 11, 2006

Court

The court date has come and gone. It appears that I will now receive standard unsupervised visitation every other weekend, from 6 pm. Friday to 6 pm Sunday. Our attorneys got together before court and tried to work out a resolution before we were called in to see the judge. The defendant accused me of not taking advantage of the time Jalen was present, so we agreed that if I will not be present for a period of > 1 hour, then I must take Jalen back to his mom. Problem solved, right? Wrong! Then my attorney comes back and asks about us not allowing him to watch TV, particularly sporting events? What? I explain to him about not watching games on Friday nights or Saturday afternoons, but other than that there weren’t many restrictions on sporting events. If anything, I watch too many! So we agreed to allow him to watch a reasonable amount of television. Everything’s hunky-dory now, right? Wrong again! The lawyers huddle again, and then come back to talk to us. By this point even her attorney looked exasperated. She wanted Christmas and Easter (OK), and we agreed to split the Thanksgiving weekend each year. She was steadfastly opposed to Jalen attending the Feast with us, so I don’t know where we stand in that regard right now. I’ll definitely invite him anyway and see what happens. I found out that she thinks I’m a member of Jehovah’s Witnesses. My attorney is drawing up the visitation order, and will forward it to her attorney. Upon his approval, the judge will sign the order and everything will become official. Thank you all for your prayers and words of encouragement!

Although I’m glad to have something official to go by, I’m still upset that we had to end up in court. I hate that we couldn’t work things out and not get the state involved in our family affairs. Hopefully this has brought an end to the tug-of-war with Jalen in the middle.

As an aside, it was interesting watching the other people there for court. One lady before us came out of the courtroom in hysterics and had to escorted out of the building. Apparently, the Department of Social Services was sending someone to check out her home, and a child or children were temporarily in the custody of their father. The case immediately before us involved two couples: one middle-aged, well-dressed, probably middle to upper-middle class; the other, young (early twenties), dressed in jeans and t-shirts, probably lower class (in the economic sense). The young guy, I noted, had marijuana leaf designs all over his jeans. I wonder how that case turned out. Another young man showed up to court with his mom; I guess his case was after ours. He had on saggy jeans, a jersey, and a baseball cap cocked to the side. I see now why my attorney stressed to us the importance of dressing up for court. Even if jeans are the best one has, jeans with an illegal substance on them??? C’mon now.

1 comment:

seekingtruth7 said...

You did wear a lttle pink now didn't you?

Glad to see that things went as well as they did. Hopefully things will be better from now on.